Bradford C. Berk, MD, PhD: Surviving & Recovering p̄ SCI, CVA, TBI
Dr. Berk: So, I think devices offer a really improved approach to neurologic problems and they don’t need to be taken every day like a pill, so compliance is 100% and up until now we really haven’t had many devices in the field. But I think going forward we will…
EPISODE SUMMARY: In this episode of NOGGINS & NEURONS: Brain Injury Recovery Simplified, Pete talks with Bradford C. Berk, MD, PhD. About his experience professional and personal experiences. They cover many topics, including:
- Dr. Berk’s book, “Getting Your Brain and Body Back: Everything You Need to Know after Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke, or Traumatic Brain Injury,” enlightenment and sins that writers commit.
- Depression and anxiety following acute neurological injury, behavior, and insight.
- Rehab and recovery and what the literature tells us about best treatments. Limitations, straightforward questions and finding answers.
- Research is clunky, people’s perceptions cause conflicts and the importance of having a solid clinical practice.
- Everyone receives V.I.P. care at the hospital Dr. Berk was a patient at. Clinician insecurities show up when taking care of people with credentials.
- The Neuro Restoration Institute focuses on restoring function and neuroplasticity for recovery. Using energy wisely and prioritizing recovery to optimize function.
- Standing, walking, body functions, spinal cord pathways and complete vs incomplete spinal cord injuries.
- Central Pattern Generators can be used to aid in recovery.
- The role of medical devices in healthcare.
- Berk’s lived experience and how it shapes his medical practice. Patient/family centered care – the importance of attention, compassion and interpersonal relationships for recovery!
- Progressive neurodegenerative diseases, research and hope as good medicine.
- Physiology, depression, psychological states, being able to interpret body sensations and helping people who struggle with interoception.
- The future of recovery - devices, smart devices, electronics and adapting for success.
Whoever you are and whatever your place in life, we hope you find this interesting conversation beneficial!
- Facebook page
- Dr. Berk's lab University of Rochester Neurorestoration Institute (URNI)
As always, we want to hear your top takeaways! Please email us at NogginsAndNeurons@gmail.com.
Questions and Comments about the podcast?
Donate to The Noggins & Neurons Podcast with Venmo or PayPal:
- Venmo @neurons
- Use the PayPal app (appears as Creative Concepts OT - add the note NEURONS under donation amount)
Pete’s blog, book, Stronger After Stroke, and talks.
- Music by scottholmesmusic.com